Thursday, July 25, 2013

So Is It For Us or Not?

There is something I have been thinking about for awhile. I know there are some differing of opinions on this topic because I have heard them. I know this post will not be liked by some. Oh well, I think the name of this blog indicates that I will write it anyway.

This is what I have been thinking about, is what is written in the Bible for us or not? Now, before you freak out here is why I have been thinking on it. I have heard people say things like, "God doesn't do that anymore" and "that was just for the people of that time" and similar comments. So obviously there are people who believe that parts of the Bible do not apply to us.

In the Old Testament there are the laws that were given to the Israelites, and they involved sacrifices, people being unclean, and how far people could go or how much they could do on the Sabbath. We are not under these laws today because when Jesus was crucified He fulfilled these laws. There is no longer a need for sacrifices because He was the ultimate sacrifice. Accepting Him makes us clean so we no longer are under the unclean laws either. I could go on considering these laws, but I guess the question could be asked "since those parts of the Bible do not apply to us then maybe other parts don't, right?"

I have heard on more than one occasion people say that one the most quoted verses does not apply to us. You know the one, Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." They say that this verse was written to the Hebrews of that time who were in captivity. Of course, it was, but does that mean that God doesn't know the plans He has for you? Does that mean He doesn't want to give you hope or a future?

People say that God doesn't give the gift of tongues to people anymore. I have even heard people say that God doesn't do miracles anymore. I just wonder why Jesus is the same yesterday and today and tomorrow (Hebrews 13:8) if He can no longer give gifts or perform miracles. I know some of these beliefs are denominational. I know some are believed because it passed down from generation to generation. Some have been preached and are being preached from pulpits any given Sunday.

Now, I want you to know that I believe every single Scripture is the Word of the Lord. I believe He gave promises, and they can be found in both the Old Testament an in the New. I believe that He gave us commands that are supposed to be followed today, like the Ten Commandments of the Old Testament and ones like "Love your neighbor as yourself" that is in Mark.

I know this post will ruffle feathers and anger people. I know that "my pastor says..." will be used to argue counterpoints. I know that some will never read another post that I write. Honestly, that is okay. It is okay because I know that God is the same yesterday and today and tomorrow, and I know His promises, gifts, and principles are still the same as they were when they were written down in the Bible. I also know that this post will make some think and search for the Truth of His Word.

All I ask from you is that you search His Word if you disagree or aren't sure. I ask that you not ask what someone else thinks or believes, but just focus on what He has to say. I ask that you are open to Him and open to what He shows you. I know that is what I need to be. I know that I need to read, and ask, and listen to what He is showing and teaching me. I hope that never stops, and I hope that it is the same for you.

No comments: