Tuesday, February 21, 2023

In His Hands

Yesterday morning I was sitting at my vanity getting ready for work and listening to a group of women discussing trusting God on a YouTube video. Trusting God is not an easy one for me, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who struggles with trusting Him. But as these women spoke one of them said something that struck me. I stopped putting on my makeup and prayed for someone in line with what she had said. I'd share what she said, but I honestly don't remember what it was. 

As I prayed I was given the most amazing visual by God. I saw this person in God's hands. As I continued to pray and talked with God about keeping this person even as the choices may or may not be for his good. I asked God to keep him even as he tried to do things his way. This is when the image of God's hands became truly amazing. I saw this person running towards the edge of God's hands and instead of falling off His hands grow. They didn't shift, like I would have expect them to, they actually grew. The person in His hands ran along the edge but the hands just got bigger and bigger. I realized that He was safe in God's hands.

I understood that God keeps us not by cupping us between His hands, like a caught creature in some small boy's hands. If that was how He held us we would panic and want out. We wouldn't see Him as Savior but rather Captor. And once He'd open them, just a little bit to peek at us, we would make a run for it. God doesn't hold us like that. His hands are cupped wide open like a bowl. He lets us ran around in the freedom of His hands. When we need cradling His hands shrink to hold us close. When we need the freedom to explore choices, maybe even bad ones, His hands grow large enough for us to explore but still be safe and secure. Being held in God's hands doesn't mean stifled and caught, it means freedom, love, security. It means knowing that even if I try to run away from God His hands are large enough to keep me safe from my own bad choices. 

I know I can't do what God showed me justice but I hope I helped you see His hands differently. 

No comments: