Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Great Physician

Jesus is our Great Physician.

I have been thinking about that lately. I have been thinking about physicians and how they go about healing people. I came up with two ways that they deal with illness, injury, and disease. Let me just say that I know very little about the medical profession so I am certain that there is much that I will miss, but here goes me thoughts.

Surgery
The doctor sees us and tells us that surgery is necessary. Our need is so great that we need to have it dealt by the doctor cutting into us to repair, remove, or even put something in us. Surgery is evasive. It is painful. It leaves a scar. It involves a recovery time. It is necessary.

Sometimes God does surgery on us. Sometimes we need something dealt with, removed from our lives, put back together, or repaired. And He preforms the necessary surgery to bring it about. Sometimes it feels like a punch in the gut. It is evasive. It goes into areas in our lives that we guard or are too consider too painful to be touched. We have a scar to remember the surgery. We also have a recovery time that may seem long and probably includes some sort of "spiritual" physical therapy. And it is necessary.

Therapy
Sometimes the doctor tells us that is going to take time, but we will get better. We need to take medication. We need to follow a routine. We have to go in for visits to see how we are progressing. The medicine might be hard to swallow and even taste bad. The routine we have to follow takes so much time and it might even hurt. Ever have to go through physical therapy? If yes, then you know what I mean. Although it is painful and takes time it is necessary.

Sometimes that is the way God heals us. The healing takes a long time. At first it seems like the medicine isn't working. The therapy hurts and we don't see any change. Gradually we do get better. When spend more time seeking Him. We find that each time we have to deal with hurt we realize that it hurts a bit less and the recovery time is less. And it is necessary.

One of the best parts of God's healing is we don't have to make an appointment. He is always available. Unlike human doctors God knows for sure how long the healing time will take. He knows if the procedure and medicine will work. He knows when to do the surgery. He knows when to administer the medicine. He knows when we need to rest. He is the perfect physician.

I wish I never had to endure times of healing, but I would much rather He heal me then leave in the painful, mess. I'll have to remember that they next time He is doing some healing in me.

No comments: