Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Bosom Friend

I have moved around a lot and made friends in various places. Some of those friendships were surface ones, but mostly because I never let them get to deep, at least not on my part. Some of those friendships were just work ones. Some of those friendships were ones that I invested a lot of me in. Honestly, most I did not.

Friendships were something I longed for, prayed for, and even sabotaged. When I just in those middle school years I had a really bad friendship experience. It tainted all my friendships since. But I don't want that tainting in my friendships now. This means letting go of hurts and letting God heal. It has not been a painless process, and it seems almost every day that I have to fight my feelings because of it. There has been healing though and I am glad for it.

The other night, as I cried once again over feelings hurt, I prayed an Anne of Green Gables prayer. I prayed for a Bosom Friend, a Kindred Spirit. If you haven't seen the movie or read the book, this kind of friend is a friend of your heart, a friend so close, so dear. I want this kind of friend, and honestly I'm greedy, I would like more than one bosom friend. Before that prayer I don't think that I believed that I would ever have such a friend. I don't believe that today.

I have been trying to figure out how to go about getting a bosom friend, and God spoke into me the answer. Be a Bosom Friend. Okay, God how do I do that?

His answer is simple just be a friend. Consider other people. Look for opportunities to show kindness. Notice what others need and give it when I can.  Listen to celebrations, hurts, and hear what isn't being said. Give to others based on what they need, how they feel love expressed to them. Speak into their lives when God gives me the words.

So that's what I've been trying to do. I am far from good at this, but I am trying. I know there will be times, days even, where I let my selfishness get in the way. There will be times when I let my hurt feelings get in the way of doing what I should for others. I will fail to be a friend probably more times then I succeed, but with God's grace and strength I will be a friend. The best part is that I do have a Bosom Friend, Jesus. He will help me and I will become a Bosom Friend.

No comments: