Saturday, May 5, 2012

Because I am Not a Fan of Jesus

I know that walking with Jesus is not popular. I know it costs me. It has cost me friends. It has cost my things. It has cost me self, so much self. But I will not be a fan. I will not just "like" Jesus on Facebook. I will not follow the crowd, especially not the religious one. I will not just talk the talk and not walk the walk. I will trust His Word even when so many call it out-dated, irrelevant, and narrow minded. I will take the road less traveled by, the narrow way, the way that many will not take. I will sacrifice partying and using things to satisfy me. I will not choose the easy way. I will not give in to my own selfishness or the listen to the advice of others who want nothing to do with God except when it suits them. I know this post will cost me, but it is nothing compared to what I have cost Him.

I am far from perfect. No where near a "saint". I will mess up. I will say things that hurt, sometimes by accident and other times on purpose. I will look at the easy way with some longing. I will be quiet when I should speak. I will be selfish. I will be unkind. But I will know that when I have been, have done, and have wanted what isn't from Him that I go to Him for forgiveness and strength.

His Word is full of promises about what He thinks and says about me. He rejoices over me with singing. I give Him no reason to. He calls me a coheir with His Son. I am unworthy. He loves me, forgives me, leads me, and longs to fellowship with me. I am nothing. He will call me and I will have to choose to listen and obey or look the other way. He will ask me to let go of "just okay" for the what He has planned for me. He will separate me, prepare me, and even use me. How my flesh fights against that but my spirit longs and rejoices in it.

Why? Because He died for me and rose again to redeem my life. Because He called me to follow Him. Because He loves me enough to not let me stay where I am, but to become more like Him. So I follow Jesus!

I Have Decided to Follow Jesus (an oldie but a goody!)
I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
No turning back, no turning back.

Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
Though I may wonder, I still will follow;
No turning back, no turning back.

The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
No turning back, no turning back.

Though none go with me, still I will follow;
Though none go with me, still I will follow;
Though none go with me, still I will follow;
No turning back, no turning back.

Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
No turning back, no turning back

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many walk down the wide path thinking it leads to God because they see everyone else walking on that same path. Little do they know that it leads to death. Sadly, many of those same people call themselves Christians doing the Christians things. Yet, they walk through their church doors with the herd mentality, the wide road, thinking that listening to someone tell them about God, tithing because they have been told to, and doing a little serving here and there is their ticket in. Again, little do they know it leads to death.

The Path is narrow and few travel on it. Sometimes it is lonely and other times their are those who come along side for a while. Yet, all the time it leads to God! That is the Great Hope.