Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Impossible Dream?

I have heard it said that if a dream isn't so big that God is the only one who can make it possible you aren't dreaming big enough. Well, lately a dream has become more and more clear to me, and I think it is impossible.

I have been thinking about this dream a lot lately and even realized that I have been dreaming about it much longer than I thought. I have had bits and pieces of the dream over the last year and half, but I didn't realize it until until just recently.

What is this dream? I dream of a church. Okay, that doesn't seem impossible. Well, that isn't it. I dream of a church like no church I have heard of, at least not in modern times. I dream of a church that is always open. I mean 24 hours a day, every day. I dream of a church that may or may not be in a traditional church building. I actually dream of it as a house. I dream of rooms where people come together and study the Word. I dream of a large room where people come and eat meals together. I dream of a room where people can go and pray one on one with the Lord. I dream of a room stocked with clothes for those in need. I dream of a pantry full of food to give away. I dream of a room full of books for people to sit down and read in. I dream of a place where people come together to know more about Him; to share with those in need; and for those seeking Him will come and find Him.

Does that sound like a commune? Because I don't dream of that. I don't dream of some sort of separate-yourselves-from-everyone place. I dream of a place that people know about and go to when they have needs, whether physical or spiritual. I dream of an open place where people feel they can come no matter what.

I think of the church in Acts and I want to see that kind of church today.
Acts 2:41-47 The Message
41-42That day about three thousand took him at his word, were baptized and were signed up. They committed themselves to the teaching of the apostles, the life together, the common meal, and the prayers.
 43-45Everyone around was in awe—all those wonders and signs done through the apostles! And all the believers lived in a wonderful harmony, holding everything in common. They sold whatever they owned and pooled their resources so that each person's need was met.
 46-47They followed a daily discipline of worship in the Temple followed by meals at home, every meal a celebration, exuberant and joyful, as they praised God. People in general liked what they saw. Every day their number grew as God added those who were saved.

Once again, some people would take this verse and run off and create a commune. But these people didn't separate themselves out from others. They did sell what they had to help others, but they lived this life right in the midst of Jerusalem. They lived this life right in front of others and they were liked by many. They lived this life right in front of others and their numbers were added to every day.

That is the kind of church I dream of. I think it is impossible and I certainly don't know why God has given me this dream. Yet I know that this impossible dream is possible for Him.

(Can I just say that I actual fought writing this post. I knew for days that I should but I put it off. God woke me up, wide awake in the middle of the night and I knew that I had to write it. I hate that I still struggle eith knowing and not doing what I should. I know God will continue to work on me to help me learn to obey the first time.)

1 comment:

pecktheeducator said...

I dream of a church that loves 24 hours a day.