Friday, December 14, 2012

Positioning Yourself in the Face of Death

I was up early this morning, very early around 3, and I needed to read my Bible. I needed to because my thoughts were focused on something that was making me angry, and 3AM is too early to be up and fretting. I realized I needed to take the focus off my thoughts and onto His Word.

I have been reread Esther for the millionth time (I love Esther!). I wanted to read a chapter at a time and really focus on what that chapter was teaching me.Well, that was fine until 3AM and I ended up starting on chapter 4 and read through chapter 10. Not that these are long chapters but I barely stopped between them to think on anything. Even so, I did pause and think after reading one part.

"Three days later Esther dressed in her royal robes and took up a position in the inner court of the palace in front of the king’s throne room. The king was on his throne facing the entrance. When he noticed Queen Esther standing in the court, he was pleased to see her; the king extended the gold scepter in his hand. Esther approached and touched the tip of the scepter." Esther 5:1-3

This is where I stopped, focusing on the word "position". God positioned Esther as queen. We know that
the former queen hurt the manly pride of the king and he sent her away. (Seriously, next time you read Esther notice how easily Xerxes is swayed by drink and the influence of people talking in his ear.) He needed a new wife and God positioned Esther to be that queen.

When Haman plots to kill all the Jews Esther is exactly where she needs to be. She is in the palace. She is the queen. She was chosen by the king in a contest with 1000s of other women.She was positioned just right. Even so, she had to step out of her fear to live up to "such a time as this".

Esther cannot just pop into the throne room and talk to the king. Going before the king when you haven't been called for can result in death. She had to face death and position herself to save her people. She took up a position where the king could see her. She took up a position that could lead to her death or the salvation of her people.

We have been positioned by God to be right in the place that we are in. He has done the ultimate positioning of us, but we also need to step out of fear and position ourselves. There will be times in our lives, maybe you are there right now, where God is asking you to step out and position yourself to do something. That something could be huge and life changing for others. It could be small, or seemingly small, and not effect many. Regardless of how big it is you need to do it.

If you are gripped by fear of death you need to step out into the position He is calling you to. That death is probably not literal. It may be a possible death of your reputation in certain people's eyes. It may be a possible death in relationships. It could be any kind of possible death. But remember Esther positioning herself did not lead to her death. It led to the salvation of her people. It did lead to the death of an evil man. Your stepping out into a position God has created for you can only lead to life.

No comments: