Thursday, December 20, 2012

Wanting Someone Else to do the Work

Yesterday I was out with a friend for dinner. We talked for a couple of hours and she made me think, a lot.

One of the things she made me realize was that I want someone else to do all the work. I like getting the dream, the vision, but I am fearful of carrying it out. I feel like so many people in the Bible, like Moses or Gideon. They heard from God, but they didn't think they could do what God called them to do. Now, I am not saying I am Moses or Gideon, or that God is calling me to do anything like He asked them to do. Just wanted that to be clear.

Even so, I want someone else to come along and do what God has told me to do. I do not think I am capable of doing it. Well, I'm not. Moses wasn't either. The thing I have learned from him is that even though he didn't feel up to the huge tasks God had him to do, he knew how to do them. No, he didn't know the "how" of leading the Israelites. He knew that the only way to lead them was to spend time, intimate time, with the Lord God Almighty.

Anyway as I was saying, I really want someone to come along and be the one who will take the lead in what I think God is telling me to do. I would be so okay with that. I have no problem with being in the background. But is it because God made me to be a background person (which isn't bad, background people are needed to get stuff done!) or is it because of fear? Um, let me think about that for about a second...yeah, it's the fear choice.

I realized that I have been doing this very same thing for years, many years. I have been avoiding doing what He has asked of me most of my life because of fear. I want that to stop. I need that to stop. I want all that God has for me and that means I need to stop waiting for someone else to do what God is asking me to do. I need to spend time with Him so that I can. It isn't about just white knuckling it. It is all about trusting Him to do what He will do through me. It is about spending time with Him and learning to walk in His strength, especially when I'm feeling weak, fearful, and incompetent.

So, now that I know, I need to start doing what He is asking me to do. It's time to get to work!

1 comment:

Sue said...

The conversation with your friend made you think and this post has made me think........and continue to think.........