Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Only Book Worth Reading

I love to read! I love historical fiction. I love to read stories with real characters, people who are flawed and real. I love to read books about God. I love to read books about characters in the Bible. I love to read books, period.

Sometimes when I read a book a phrase or even an entire chapter will mean something to me. Sometimes it will be an eye opener for me. Sometimes it will make me stop and think. Sometimes it will make me stop and pray. Sometimes it will make me cry. Sometimes it will make me laugh. The best times are when it drives me to Scripture.

You see none of the many books that I love to read are really worth reading in comparison to the one book that is. The Bible. All the books in the world put together are not worth even a small fraction of the Bible. I can't imagine people who do not read it thinking that the book that they just finished, talk about with their friends, or reread over and over again is so amazing. If they just opened up the book, the inspired Word of God, they would realize their favorite is in no way comparable.

What I really don't get, is how people who do read the Bible turn to other books for quotes about God rather than use His book for their quotes.I'm not talking about the occasional quoting of other books. I have done that. I mean when people use other books as if they are the Word is what I don't get. It is the only book that has ever been written and ever will be written that is Truth about who God is and what He says to and about us.

So as great as other books are it is the only book that truly is worth reading.

1 comment:

Connie said...

In the last year I have not read a single book other than the Bible. I have been reading many versions and comparing them. I move from chapter to charter as I feel I am inclined to read. I have picked up other books but just can't get into them. I have no dsire to read a book about Fathe/Son/Spirit. I am so tired of not being changed by the newest book suppose to "change your life

I suspose this is for a season but never expect I will be far from the Bible.