Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Influence

Today I was talking with a co-worker and she was sharing how she came to be saved. I hope she doesn't mind me sharing. I think of Aslan's words in A Horse and His Boy when he says, "Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own." So I don't like telling other people's stories, but this one impacted me deeply.

She shared that she used to work in a restaurant and an older gentleman and his wife would come in. He would ask her to go to church with them, but she always made excuses and didn't go. Then one day he came in with his pastor and asked her boss if she could take a break. The boss said she could and she sat down with the two men. They told her she had to be saved. She told them that was the problem. Keep telling her what she needs to be but she didn't even know what that meant. So they explained it to her. Right there, surrounded by chicken, she accepted Jesus as her Lord and Savior.

About a year later that man died and at his funeral she spoke with the pastor. She said that it was obvious from his love for the Lord that he had been going to church is whole life. The pastor shocked her when he said that the man had been going to church for only about two years. He had been saved at 75!

I'm not sure who prayed for that man. I'm not sure for how long they prayed. I'm not sure how he came to his relationship with Jesus, but I know he was 75 when he did. I also know that he went into a restaurant repeatedly to help bring a woman to her own relationship with Jesus.

I think about the people I pray for to come to salvation. I think about how some are old, maybe too old. Yet, very few are anywhere near 75 years of age. I think about this man persistence to share the love of God with others. I think I must continue to pray. I must continue to share. I need to get a little more persistent.

You never know who you will influence and you have no idea how long it will take, but keep influencing!

No comments: