Thursday, April 12, 2012

3 Day Rule

A few years ago I was going through a heartache and got some great advice from my mom. She told me to give myself 3 days to grieve. Let myself feel the loss, the hurt, the pain, but then rise up. After those 3 days rise up out of it like Jesus rose from the dead.

It was great advice. I gave myself 3 days to just cry and grieve, and believe me I grieved like I have never before. After those 3 days I found that I didn't even have to try to rise up out of it. I went into it knowing I had 3 days to grieve and I guess that was enough for me to just rise out of it. Now there were days when the pain came back, not all pain is just gone in 3 days, but when it did I gave it 3 more days. After the 3 days it was even easier to rise out of than it was the previous time.

I have used this advice whenever I get sad, hurt, or grieve. Like I said, sometimes it takes more than one 3 day period to deal with the sadness, but I always give myself 3 days at a time. There are even times when I don't need all 3 days.

Right now I am sad. I could put on the "brave face" and fake that everything is okay, but I don't want to be fake. So for the next couple of days I will allow myself to be sad, but in the end I will rise up!