Monday, September 3, 2012

I Hate Facebook!

Yup, I really do. I hate Facebook! Hate is a strong word, but in this case it is true. The irony is I check Facebook almost everyday. Well, the truth it isn't Facebook's fault at all. Let me explain.

Facebook is full of reminders of what the have-nots don't have and want. I know people who want children, I am one of them, but some of them can't have them for medical reasons. At least once a day there is a post about a child's birthday, first tooth, expected arrival, potty training successes, and on and on and on. The posts I can glance at move on, but my mouse is demon possessed. It never fails that at least once a day it manages to hovers over the right side of the screen where people's likes and have commented shows up. (What is that part called? I remember when it came out and people hated it.) A picture of a cute baby or family pops up or a comment about some kid I don't even know is staring me in the face. I move the mouse as fast as I can.

I understand that longing that grabs hold and makes me whole being want to cry, and I am sure other people feel it too. What's worse is what I scrolled over today, by accident. I friend liked or commented on some one's photo. The photo popped up and had a caption, gotta love the caption. It was of a baby's first birthday and surrounding the baby where five, yes five siblings. The caption said something about it being her birthday and how incredible blessed they were. Two of the siblings were obviously adopted. So not only has this person been blessed with four children of her own, she and her husband have even adopted two children. That photo sent me here to finally post about how much I hate Facebook.

Then there are the "today I am celebrating "fill-in the blank" years married to my best friend". I hate those even more. It really feels yucky, and that is not a strong enough word, to know that so many people have found their best friend, married him or her, and have been together for years, most are double digits, because I'm old and my friends have been married a long time.

By the way, this is a pity party post, and I hate that too, but I'm trying to be open and honest and this is what I need to post about right now.

Now, I don't want people to stop posting these great posts about their babies, children, and spouses. Well, maybe part of me does. :) People should share these wonderful blessings in their lives. And they better realize how truly blessed they are! Because the posts I really hate and make me want to pull people's hair out is when they complain. Yeah, those "my kids are driving me crazy" and "my wife/husband really annoys me when she/he does..." posts. I know people can be annoying. I know kids can drive you crazy. I know that sometimes people feel frazzled and worn out and cranky. But complaining about those blessings that so many people long for that drives me to the edge. (I know that have complained on Facebook about things that I should consider a blessing, like work, and it is wrong and I'm working on it.)

So, now you know why I hate Facebook. But I'm sure that I'll be checking it soon to catch up on today's news. And once again, writing these posts help me deal with the feelings. I could bottle them up like I've always done or I can post them. So I post them. :)

No comments: