Saturday, September 1, 2012

Not Liking the Destruction

I really hate destruction! I hate destruction in families. I hate destruction in friendships. I hate destruction in any kind of relationship; work-place ones, teams, groups, churches whatever.

I know that people grow and change and some things in their lives change as they grow. I mean a football player can't be a senior in high school forever. Kids grow up and become adults. They go to school, get jobs, move away. I am not talking about the natural kind of maturing that takes place that brings about change.

Neither am I talking about the change that comes when God tells you to move. He tells you to step out in faith on something and sometimes that moves you out of the comfort of home, the workplace, or the church you attend. That is called obedience and even though it is hard it is important to obey the One who calls.

But destruction seems to be a theme lately, at least in my little world. I haven't suffered from any destruction, but it has affected me. Knowing that a father and son have experienced destruction in their relationship hurts my heart. Knowing that something happened to cause a divide between friends makes me sad. Knowing that something caused a break in a church grieves me.

Maybe the worse part of it all is that I know of the effects, the end results, but I do not know what caused it. It could just be that I'm nosey and it really isn't any of my business anyway. That is very possible! Yet I keep thinking if I just knew what happened, if I could just understand maybe it would be easier. Of course, that probably isn't true at all. It wouldn't change what happened and it actually might make the way I feel worse.

The one thing that gives me hope is I know some of those involved love God. I cling to the scripture that says, "and we know that all things work together for good to those that love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28 NKJV) Those that love God need to continue to, they need to continue to turn to Him and to His purposes. Then they can rest assure that even though it looks bleak it will work together for good, maybe nothing like they expect but good none the less.

Unfortunately not everyone who has suffered in their relationship loves God. I pray all the time that they would love God, that they would turn to Him. There is nothing more that I can do. I do not like the helpless feeling of that. I am not a big have-to-have-control type of person. I am quite the opposite, but in this I wish I had some sort of control that somehow I could fix it, making it all better.

One thing is for sure, all this destruction has led me to a different level of talking with God about everything. I hope that it does the same for those who love Him. I hope that those who need Him will be drawn to Him.

No comments: