Monday, January 14, 2013

The Battle of Taking the Next Step

"It was at this point that Bilbo stopped. Going on from there was the bravest thing he ever did. The tremendous things that happened afterwards were as nothing compared to it. He fought the real battle in the tunnel alone, before he ever saw the vast danger that lay in wait." The Hobbit

Bilbo, the hobbit, is walking down the dark tunnel on the way to the dragon and he stops. Obviously, from what Tolkien wrote I know he goes on, but my favorite thing about these few sentences is that I can totally relate.

Nope, no dragon tunnel walking for me. I do however know what it is like to being walking toward something unknown, unseen, and maybe even unsettling. I do know that moment of stopping. That moment of knowing that the next step will take me beyond the point of returning. I do know the truth that that moment truly is where the real battle is fought.

You know what I mean? The battle of fighting the fear of taking the next step. The battle of fighting the desire to turn around and run back up the tunnel. The battle of "what ifs" and "hows". That battle between letting distrust rule my thoughts and knowing that trusting that step is the best choice to make.

I admire Bilbo because he does make that step. I mean no man, or hobbit, in his or her right mind thinks that facing a dragon will be a piece of cake. He knows there will be danger and he takes the step forward anyway. He wins the battle, the real battle, and I know that I can be like Bilbo and win that battle too.

(excerpt is from The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien)

No comments: