Monday, January 7, 2013

The Path

Recently I went to see The Hobbit and I walked away really mad. Some how I was not aware that the movie wasn't going to be about the whole book. That was a rude awakening! So I needed to run to the store and pick up a copy of the book.

Well, earlier today when I was reading it I got to the part where the dwarfs and Bilboa leave the path in Mirkwood Forest. They are traveling through this scary, dark forest, well to get to the other side. They are warned, twice, not to leave the path. No matter what they were supposed to stay on the path. 

In the story they are actually almost to the other side of this path and out of the forest, but they don't know how close they were. What they did know was they were tired, grumpy, hungry, and thirsty. They had run out of food and water. They were weary. Then they saw a light. Off the path. They fought over going toward the light. They reminded each other of the warning. No one wanted to be the one to go off the path. In the end they all decide to leave the path together. This is the point where you want to scream at them, "get back on the path! Now!"

This was also the point where I felt God speak to me. He reminded me that our walk is similar to theirs. We are walking on a path that we have never been on before. Sometimes that path is scary. Sometimes it is dark. Sometimes there are creatures along the way that are scary. Sometimes we get tired and grumpy. Then we see something off the path, something that looks better than where we are. We argue with ourselves and yet we still step off the path to follow what looked good.

The dwarfs and Bilboa followed the light and as soon as they see the fire and food, and then every thing goes dark. They are helplessly lost. They have a hard time finding each other and even when they do they are in absolute darkness and have no idea where the path is. I stopped there. I had to, but can't wait to find out what happens. I mean there's a lot of book left so I know they'll make it out of the forest at some point.

I also know that when I walk off the path, get lost and confused, I have the true Light to look to. He will lead me back to the path and help me move forward in the right direction. Even though I wish I would never leave the path, there is joy in knowing I'm not lost for good.

No comments: